Unit8 lesson3 Marco Polo
The land silk road
The line that connecting East to West
Seeing the picture, what things will you think about? When talking about the silk road, who will occur into your mind?
Have you heard about Marco Polo? Which of the following do you think is true? （旅行者） A. He was a French traveller who lived in Italy for some time. B. He was an Italian traveller who lived in China for some time.
Kublai Khan —— the Yuan Dynasty Emperor
Marco Polo seeing Kublai Khan
in Marco’s time
Marco was telling stories
about China in the prison (监狱).
Books talked about Marco Polo in China
Read through the text quickly, and find match the paragraphs with the main idea.
Para.2 Para.3 Para.4 Para.5 Para.6
Marco Polo's early life Marco returned to Italy Inventions and developments in China Kublai Khan welcomed Marco Marco was amazed at China People’s reaction to Marco’s stories
Second reading Read through
the text quickly, and find out the information about Marco Polo and fill out the following form.
Name: Born (when/where): Came to China (when): Languages (how many): Worked in China (how many years): Returned to Italy (when): Age of his death: The name of his book:
Marco Polo 1254, Italy 1271 4 17 1291 70 The Description of the World
The third reading
Read the passage again and answer the following questions.
? How old was Marco when he travelled across Europe and Asia?
He was 17 years old at that time.
? Why did Marco and his father travel to China?
Because they wanted to do trade
with the Chinese.
? Was Kublai Khan happy to meet Marco and his father?
Yes, he was very happy to meet them.
? Why was the Emperor impressed by Marco?
Because Marco was very clever and could already speak 4 languages, although he was young.
? How did Marco describe the Summer Palace?
He described it as “ The greatest palace that ever was…”.
The walls ?
The Hall ?
? Why was Marco surprised to see people using paper money?
Because in Europe, people paid for
goods with gold or silver.
? What were the black stones Marco saw people burning for fuel?
The black stones were coal.
Read the passage again and match the words in the box with their definitions. in turn, wealthy, author,
break out, stand by
1. start 2. as a result break out in turn stand by
3. Insist that something is true
Complete the sentences using the words from exercise 3.
in turn, wealthy, author, break out, stand by
1. He became _________ through hard wealthy work and careful saving. 2. He is a successful ________. He has author already written three best selling novels.
3. The president told the reporter that he wanted to __________ his earlier stand by statement. 4. In the past, without clean running water, disease would often ___________ in cities . break out 5. The customer praised the manager, who, ___________ praised his staff. in turn
trade (n) & (v) 贸易；商业(Para 1) do ~ with sb. ; ~ with sb. 与某人做生意 e.g. Our country does trade with a lot of European countries. trade sth for sth.用某物交换某物 e.g. I traded information for money.
2. eventually (adv.) 最后,终于,结果(Para 1) e.g. He worked very hard and eventually made himself ill.
3. be happy (sorry/ sad…) to do sth.(Para2) 很高兴（抱歉/ 伤心）做某事 e.g. I am sorry to tell you this bad news. 4. serve (v) 服务；侍候；供应(Para2) ~ (sb.) as sth. 为（某人）工作；当某职 e.g. Tony serves (his boss) as a driver for many years. ~ sb. (sth.) with sth. 为某人(某物)提供某物 e.g. Lily likes to serve her guests with coffee. The city is well served with public transport.
5. in turn 依此,替换地(Para3) e.g. They sang on the stage in turn.
6. amaze (vt.) 吃惊,使惊奇(Para3) be amazed by 对(因)…大感惊讶 e.g. We were amazed by her sexy look. be amazed to do… 很惊讶做某事 e.g. We were amazed to hear the news. be amazed that 对…大感惊讶 e.g. I was amazed that he had made such rapid progress in English.
7. describe…as 把---说成(Para 3) describe sth. (sb. ) as + adj. ( n ) e.g. He described my plan as unrealistic. 他批评我的计划不切实际。 e.g. 他自称艺术家。 He describes himself as an artist.
8. seat (n)座位；(v) 使坐下；容纳(Para 3) e.g. Please go back to your seat.
She seated herself on the sofa.
The hall is so large that it can seat 5000 people.
9. be available (adj.) (Para 4) 可得到的;可用的;可看见的 e.g. Is the library available during summer vacation? 这个图书馆暑假开放吗？ These shoes are not available in your size. 这双鞋不适合你穿。 The doctor is not available now. 医生现在没空。
10. pay (vt.) 付款,支付(Para 4) pay …for… 付…的款;受…报应 e.g. I paid $5 for that book. I will make him pay for his insolence! 我要他为自己的蛮横无礼尝尝苦头！ pay in 缴纳款项；将（钱）存入（银行） e.g. Please pay a cheque into my account. pay off 全部还清 e.g. I have paid off all my debts.
11. confuse (vt.) 使人困惑,使弄错(Para 4) e.g. The difficult question confused him. be confused by … 对(因)…感到困惑 e.g. People were confused by a lot of information. 人们被大量的信息搞糊涂了.
12. tell sth. to sb. = tell sb. sth. (Para 5 ) 告诉某人某事 e.g. I am going to tell you my secret. I am going to tell my secret to you.
13. stand by 忠于，坚守，坚持(Para 6)
e.g. I still stand by what I said yesterday. 我坚持我昨天说的话。 I stand by my principles.
Have you taken down all the language points?
Th ?1. The girl who / that is singing is my sister.
__________ … who / that is singing…
?The student who / that didn’t do the homework is Tom. ?Anyone who / that breaks the rules will be punished. ?It sounds like a train that/which is going under the ground. ?I watched all the glasses that/which are on the table fall onto the ground.
_______ 2. The book (that/which) he is reading is funny.
… (that/which) he is reading… ___________ 宾语 可以省略
The book he is reading is funny.
eg. ?The boy (that/who/whom) we saw yesterday was
John’s brother. ?The house (that/which) they built last year was destroyed. ?Tomato is another plant (which/that) early travelers took to Europe. ?The plant (that/which) Columbus discovered in America is called corn.
3.People who/that were killed in the accident were mainly children.
… who / that were killed in the accident…
________ 关系代词 + be done (被动) 不可以省略
4. The pen (that/which) I write with is very ______ good.
… (that/which) I write with… ___________
作介词 with 的宾语
… with which I write…
The pen with which I write is very good.
The man (who/whom/that) my brother are talking to is a policeman.
The man to whom my brother are talking is a policeman.
The games (which/that) the young men competed in were difficult. The games in which the young men completed were difficult. The place (which/that) I was born in is Jiangsu. The place in which I was born is Jiangsu. The year (that/which) I was born in is 1979. The year in which I was born is 1979.
5。The year (which/that) I was born in is 1979. ___________
The year in which I was born is 1979. _______ … in which I was born… ____ in the year
The year when I was born is 1979.
6.The place in which I was born is Jiangsu. in the place
The place where I was born is Jiangsu.
house: This is the house where Lincoln was born. _____ farm: in which This is the farm ______Lincoln worked. where on which theatre: This is the theatre _____ Lincoln was shot. where at which 1809: The year when Lincoln was born is 1809 ___ 1818: in which The year when Lincoln’s mother died is 1818. ___ 1860: in which The year when Lincoln became present is 1860. ____ in which
Fill in the blanks with “which”,“when”,“where”: which 1.This is the factory _______ we will visit. which 2.This is the place _______ he was born in. where 3. This is the place _______ he was born. which 4. I remember the days_______ we spent. where 5. This is the factory ______ we works. 6. This is the place _______ we live in . which where 7. This is the place _______ we live.
when 8. This is the time ______ he died.