Unit 5 Grammar
The Attributive Clause
Pay attention to these attributive clauses that contain prep. + whom/which.
1. Have you ever dreamed of playing in front
of thousands of people at a concert, at which everyone is clapping and appreciating your music? 2. They may start as a group of high-school students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame. 3. Later they may give performances in pubs or clubs for which they are paid in cash.
4. The musicians were to play jokes on each other as well as play music, most of which was based loosely on the Beatles. 5. However, after a year or so in which they became more serious about their work, the Monkees started to play and sing their own songs like a real band. 6. They produced a new record in 1996, with which they celebrated their former time as a
介词+which/whom引导的定 语从句用于正式场合。在这 一结构中，关系代词which/
当先行词是人时，用介词+whom引导 定语从句。 They may start as a group of highschool students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame.
当先行词是物时，用介词+which引导 定语从句，而且只能加which，不能 加that。 They produced a new record in 1996, with which they celebrated their former time as a real band.
当“介词+which/whom”结构在定语从句中做 时间、地点和原因状语时可以用关系副词 when, where,和why替代。 1.They visited the city where/in which John Denver was born. 2.I will never forget the year when/in which our band started. 3.The reason why/for which he left the
band was that he hated the busy life.
This is the pilot for whom I bought a camera. This is the pilot with whom I work.
三. 表所属关系时都用of, the+n.+of+which/whom可转换为whose+n. 四. 表整体中的一部分或……中最……的, 介词也都用of.
The Greens have two daughters, both of whom are nurses. The room the window of which /whose window faces south is mine. 注意：look after, look for, take care of, pay attention to, listen to, look at, come across, come up with等动词短语不能拆，介词不可以提前。
1. George Orwell, ____ was Eric Arthur, wrote many political novels and essays. A. the real name B. what his real name C. his real name D. whose real name
解析: 答案D。whose引导定语从句时, 只能在从句中作定语, 其他各项均构 不成定语从句。
2. Anyway, that evening, ___ I’ll tell you more about later, I ended up staying at Rachel’s place. A. when B. where C. what D. which 解析: 答案D。which在定语从句中作 宾语, 其他各项均不能在句中作宾语。
3. What surprised me was not what he
said but _______ he said it. A. the way C. in the way B. in the way that D. the way which
解析: 答案A。the way后的定语从句可 用in which或that引导, 也可全省略。
4. Luckily, we’d brought a road map without ___ we would have lost our way. A. it B. that C. this D. which
解析: 答案D。without + which引 导定语从句。
Fill in each blank with a proper prep.+ whom/which. 1. This is the gun _____ _____ the hunter with which shot the antelope. 2. The athletes _______ _____ he will against whom compete come from Greece and Czech Republic. 3. He’ll never forget the day ___ on _____ which he was admitted to the Olympic Games for the first time.
4. A great number of cultural relics have been found in a village ___ in ______ which there are lots of old temples. 5. The guitar _____ _____ Dave composed with which our first hit is in a music museum. 6. The musicians ____ ______ we have in whom great interest toured Europe with us.
1.Nothing ______ that can be done has been done. 2.Do you have anything ______ that you don’t understand ? 先行词是everything, nothing, anything, something, much, little, none等不定代 词，引导定语从句用that
1.This is the best TV _____ that is made in China. 2.The first museum _____ that he visited in China was the History Museum.
先行词被形容词最高级或序数词修 饰时，引导定语从句用that 。
I’ve read all the books _____ that you lent me. 先行词被any, some, no, much, few, little, every, all, the very, the only, the last 修饰时,引导定语从句 用that 。
1.The famous writer and his works _____ that the radio broadcast have aroused great interest among the students. 2.A victim is a person, animal or thing that suffers pain, death, harm, etc. _____
Who _____ that you have ever seen can do it better ? who做先行词时， 引导定语从句用 that
1.Her bag, in ________ which she put all her money, has been stolen. 2.This is the ring on ________ which she spent 1000 dollars. whom I went to 3.Xiao Wang ,with ________ the concert, enjoy it very much.
在介词后面，指事 物用which，指人用 whom
1)看定语从句中动词与介词的搭配 This is the book_____ for which you asked. 注意：动词短语不能拆开即介词不能提前 The old man whom I am looking after is better .
2).看定语从句中形容词与介词的搭配 He referred me to some reference books _____ with which I am not very familiar.
3)根据先行词判断, 所用的介词与先行词 搭配 This is our classroom, _____________ in the front of which there is a teacher’s desk.
3 Whose 的使用
whose 引导的定语从句 表示所属关系 The river _______ whose banks are covered with trees flows to the sea.
There are in this class 20 students, ______ are different. ? A. whose backgrounds ? B. the backgrounds of whom ? C. of whom the backgrounds ? D. the backgrounds of whose
4 as 的使用 The earth is round,___ as we all know. As ___ is known to all, the earth is round. It is known to all that the earth is ___ round. 定语从句在句首时只能用 as, as 具有正如之意，与之 搭配的动词一般是固定的
? This is the same book as I lost.
这本书和我丢的那本一模一样。 ? This is the same book that I lost. 这本书就是我丢的那本。
This is such an interesting book ____ as we all like. This is so interesting a book ___ as we all like. 定语从句 这是大家都喜欢的如此有趣的一本 书。
This is such an interesting book that ____we all like it. that This is so interesting a book ____we all like it. 结果状语从句
1. It is very useful to master a foreign which has been said before. language,_____
2 ___ As everyone hoped, Mary has won the first prize. as引导定语从句可放在句首，句中， 句末，而which 引导定语从句不能放 在句首.as译为正如，好像, which 则 没有此义。
when we １ I’ll never forget the day _________ first met in the park. which\that ２ I’ll never forget the time __________ I spent with you. which\that ３ I’ll never forget the time __________ was spent with you. ４ This is the museum __________I which\that visited last year .
5 when, where, why 与that, which 的区分 why／that This is the reason ___________ ( = for which ) I didn’t come here. which/that she gave was The reason __________ not true. 指时间，地点或原因的先行词在定语 从句中作主语或宾语，用which或that 引导定语从句。
6 定语从句中的动词的数 He is the only one in his class who ____ has (have) got the teacher’s praise. He is one of the students in his class who have (have) got the teacher’s praise. _____ 关系词在定语从句中做主语时，谓语 动词的数取决于先行词
Correct the mistakes
1.Under the big tree are 34 students, many of ——— them come from class two. whom 2. My mother has a good book, which cover looks terrible. whose ——— 3. This is the very pen that you gave it to me before. 4. There is an old woman, that is holding —— a stick. who
5. I’m using the pen which he bought it yesterday. to 6. The man whom I spoke is from ∧ Canada.
7. July 1,1999 is the day when we’ll never forget. that
8. I’m going to work in the hospital where needs me. which 9. Those that haven’t been to the West Lake will gather at the school gate. who
10. Miss Chen is the only one of the few teachers who give us wonderful English lessons in our school.
11. Taiwan, that we know, belongs to China. as
12.The bike by which I travelled was on his.
高考链接 1. George Orwell __ D was Eric Arthur, wrote many political novels and essays. A. the real name B. what his real name C. his real name D. whose real name 解析: 答案D。whose引导定语从句时, 只能在从句中作定语, 其他各项均构 不成定语从句。
2. Anyway, that evening, ___ D I’ll tell you more about later, I ended up staying at Rachel’s place. A. when B. where C. what D. which 解析: 答案D。whose引导定语从句时, 只能在从句中作定语, 其他各项均构 不成定语从句。
3. What surprised me was not what he
said but _______ he said it. A
A. the way
C. in the way
B. in the way that
D. the way which
解析: 答案A。the way后的定语从句可
用in which或that引导, 也可全省略。
4. Luckily, we’d brought a road map
without ___ D we would have lost
A. it B. that C. this D. which 解析: 答案D。without + which引
5. (NMET2004) The English play ___
my students acted at the New Year’s
party was a great success. A. for which C. in which B. at which D. on which
6. (2000上海) Recently I bought an
ancient Chinese vase, ___ was very
A. Which price B. the price of which
C. its price D. the price of whose
7. (89上海) The two things ___ they felt very proud were Jim’s gold watch and Della’s hair. A. about which C. in which B. of which D. for which
8. She is a teacher of much knowledge, __ much can be learned. A. who B. that C. from which D. from whom 9. I have bought two ball pens, ___ writes well. A. none of which B. neither of which C. none of them D. neither of them
注意: “介词+关系代词”引导的定语从 句, 关系代词只能用which和whom, 且不