1.attend 【匹配】 阅读下列句子，并在其后的括 号中填出attend的含义。 a. 出席，参加 b. 照顾，护理 c. 经常去，定期去 1. Mary invited about 30 people to her party, but only 12 attended it. ( a) 2. All the six members of my family attend church every Sunday. ( c)
3. The nurse attended the patients with great care. ( b ) 4. If you go out, who will attend to the baby? ( b ) 【点拨】attend常作及物动词（句1至句 3），也可作不及物动词，构成attend to sb. / sth.结构，意为“处理；对付；照料； 关怀”（句4）。
【拓展】attend, join, take part in都可意 为“参加”，区别如下： attend后主要接meeting, conference, school, ceremony等作宾语；join后的宾语 主要是表示团体、组织(如军队、党派)、 一群人、游戏等的名词，如party, army, club等；take part in后的宾语主要是某项 活动，如discussion, movement, revolution, debate等。
【小试】 将下列句子翻译成汉语。 1. Many children in the poor village can’t attend school although they have reached the school age. 那个穷村子的许多孩子虽然到了上学 的年龄但却上不了学。 2. Daniel is sick now and he needs someone to attend to him. 丹尼尔现在生病了，需要有人照顾他。
e.g. 1. The wolf opened its mouth to ______ expose a row of sharp teeth.
expose your skin to 2. Don’t ______
the sun; your skin will be
e.g. The police began to look into the case, but the eyewitness was
expose the murderer. afraid to _______
揭发 “to make known; to tell the truth” Meaning?
* When you have a pain in your
shoulders, you will go to see a doctor.
The doctor will _____ cure you. He will
____ cure the pain in your shoulders.
Aspirin is said to be a wonderful
cure for the pain. _____
* Although the boy was beyond _____, cure his parents tried to cure ____ him of bad habits. * The prices are going up every day, but there is no _____ cure for rising prices.
4.absorb 吸收; 吸引; 使专心; 合并; 吞并 e.g. Clever children absorb knowledge easily. 聪明孩子容易吸收知识。 Aspirin is quickly absorbed by /into the body. 阿司匹林很快被身体吸收了。 The strong states often absorbed the small states in the past.
He is absorbed in his business. 他专心致志的处理业务。 be absorbed in = concentrate on 表示“专心于某事” e.g. He is absorbed in the research of Chinese history recently. absorb one’s attention e.g. Chinese history absorbs his attention recently.
be absorbed by
absorb … into
absorb one’s time
Do you know the full name of SARS?
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
strict 相近，常用结构be severe on
(upon) / with sb. 表示“对某人严厉或
e.g. The drought is becoming increasingly severe. He is severe with his children. You are too severe on (upon) the boy I felt a severe pain in the chest.
6. blame 【观察】 仔细观察下列句子并体会blame 在句中的词性、含义及用法。 1. Many children are afraid of being blamed for making mistakes in speaking English. 2. It’s no use blaming our defeat on the player.
3. It’s you who are to blame for the accident. 4. You must take the blame for the mistakes in the report. 5. The boss always puts the blame for the failure on us. 【点拨】blame作动词，意为“责备；谴 责”，可构成：blame sb. / sth. for sth.
blame 因某事而指责某人/某事（句1）；______ sth. on sb. / sth. 把某事归咎于某人/某事 _____________ to blame for sth. 对某事负 （句2）；be _________________ 有责任（主动表被动）（句3）； blame作名词，意为“过失；责备”，可 构成：take the blame承担责任（句4）； put the blame for sth. on sb. 把某事归咎 于某人。
【小试】 将下列句子翻译成英语。 1. 那次事故怪不着孩子们。 The children were not to blame for the accident. 2. 警察把那起交通事故归咎于Jack的粗心 驾驶。 The police blamed the traffic accident on Jack’s careless driving.
A. 操作; 运用 C. 管理 E. 应付 B. 经销; 买卖 D. 对待 F. 控制; 管
Choose the Chinese explanations in the box.
1. Ms Hawkins, the chief accountant of the company handles the company’s accounts. C. 管理 2. The children are so naughty that I F. 控制; 管 3. She handled a difficult argument skillfully. E. 应付 can’t handle them.
4. Handle children kindly, if you want them to trust you. stationery.
5. This shop handles paper and B. 经销；买卖 6. He learnt how to handle the axe. A. 操作；运用
1. The captain announced that the plane was going to land. 2. The government announced that they would build a new highway to the mountain. 3. The army announced a cease-fire.
4. It has been announced that Mr. A and Miss B will be married next week. 5.He waited for the announcement of the result of the competition.
instruct 意思为“命令；指示；嘱咐；吩 咐；教导（教授知识或技术）；训练”。 其名词形式为instructor（教员；教练） 和instruction（命令；指示；说明）。 e.g. The teacher instructed him to start early. 老师命令他早动身。
I’ve been instructed to wait here until
the lecturer arrives.
我得到指示在这儿等到讲课老师到来。 … in… Read the instructions oninstruct the pocket.
Every time I hear the funny story, I can’t help
The children are not to blame for the accident.
3. 这种药很容易被身体吸收。(absorb) This kind of medicine can be absorbed into our body easily. 4. 晚饭后，妈妈建议我和她一起去散步。 (suggest) My mother suggests that I should go for a walk with her after supper.